North Carolina Social Work Certification and Licensure Board
The North Carolina Social Work Certification and Licensure Board (NCSWCLB) protects
the public by setting standards for qualifications, training, and experience for
those who seek to represent themselves to the public as a certified/licensed social
worker and by promoting high standards of professional performance for those engaged
in the practice of social work.
MSHE, Executive Director
PLEASE REFER TO THE BOARD’S WEBSITE FOR EXPLANATIONS OF TYPES OF LICENSES
AND OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION.
Bookmark the link to the NCSWCLB for your future reference.
North Carolina licensed clinical social workers who want to form a professional
Corporation or professional Limited Liability Company must apply to the North Carolina
Social Work Certification and Licendure Board for a Certificate of Registration
(COR), pursuant to Chapter 55B of the North Carolina General Statutes.
Procedure to Create a Professional Business Entity
Step 1 Articles of Incorporation/Organization
- Download and complete the appropriate business entity creation document from the
Forms link on the Corporations Division website.
Step 2 Application to NCSWCL Board
- Download and complete the appropriate application at
- Corporate name which must include a corporate ending as required by GS §55D-20
or 55B-5. For limited liability companies, the complete name must be provided and
must include the word “Professional” or the abbreviation “P.L.L.C.”
or PLLC as required by GS §57D-2-02(v).
- Specific services to be rendered by the corporation or LLC.
- Mailing address of corporation or LLC, including telephone number and e-mail
address if appropriate.
- Physical address(es) where business will be conducted. Include telephone number
and e-mail address.
- For Professional Corporations, provide the name, address and license number of
each incorporator, the Board of Directors, and the corporate officers. Include percent
of shares owned by stockholders.
- For Limited Liability Companies, provide the name, address and license number
of each Owner, Director and Member.
- Provide the name, address, professional affiliation, duties and license number
(if applicable) of individuals not otherwise identified, who are employed, or to
be employed, in a professional capacity by the corporation/organization.
Signatures: Each incorporator/organizer must sign before submitting the application
to the N.C. Board of Podiatry Examiners.
Step 3: Receipt of Certificate of Registration - Submission to the Secretary of
- Submit application with the required fee of fifteen($15.00) along with a copy of
the Articles of Incorporation/Organization to:
PO Box 1043
Asheboro, NC 27204
- Please allow for a week plus mailing time to process your application.
- An original Certificate of Registration will be returned along with a Certificate
to the applicant to be used for filing with the Secretary of State’s office
along with the Articles of Incorporation/Organization.
Step 4: Renewal of Certificate of Registration
In accordance with NCGS §55B and 57C, A Certificate of Registration must be
renewed annually with the Board. [COR issued between 1/1 and 6/30 will expire on
1/1 of the same year. COR issued between 7/1/ and 12/31 will expire on 1/1 of the
- Renewal requires submission of a new application reflecting current information.
Renewal applications should be submitted with a coverletter advising the Board of
any change (or none) that has been made and the applicable renewal fee of ten dollars
($10.00). If changes have been made to the owners/shareholders/members or to the
Articles of Incorporation/Organization, an updated copy must be attached.
- It is the responsibility of the corporation or limited liability company to notify
the Board of any address, phone, fax or e-mail changes throughout the year.
Step 5: Changing your Corporate Name or other Changes
The Board and Secretary of State’s Corporations Division both must be notified
of any changes to the Corporate name, shareholders, Articles of Incorporation/Organization,
or other status.
Step 6: Dissolving your Professional Corporation or Limited Liability Company
Written notice shall be provided to the Board within 30 days of dissolving the Professional
entity along with a copy of the Articles of Dissolution.
North Carolina Statutes
Secretary of State
Licensed Clinical Social Workers
North Carolina Administrative Code
Secretary of State
- 18 NCAC 04 .0318 - Authorization of Foreign Professional Corporations
- 18 NCAC 04 .0502 - Words Prohibited in Addition to Statutory Prohibitions
- 18 NCAC 04 .0503 - Deceptively Similar and Distinguishable Names
- 18 NCAC 04 .0504 - Filing Fictitious or Assumed Name for Foreign Entity
Social Work Certification
Return to Main Page