Please be advised that extreme weather conditions are expected in the Triangle area Thursday, February 26, 2015, that will likely prevent staff from traveling to their work stations in Raleigh. Due to lingering effects of the winter storm, we expect to continue to be at reduced staffing levels on Friday, February 27 and until travel conditions improve in the metro-Triangle area. If you need to visit our offices for service, we strongly encourage you to call (919) 807-2225 before making the trip to ensure that we have staff on hand to meet your needs. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.

North Carolina State Bar

The North Carolina State Bar is the state agency responsible for regulating the practice of law in North Carolina.


Adam Maner

919-828-4620 ext. 256

Below is a summary of the procedures, laws and guidelines to obtain a professional business entity license through the NC State Bar.


Bookmark the link to the NC State Bar for future reference.

Procedure to Create a Professional Business Entity

  • Download and complete the appropriate business entity creation document from the Forms link on the Corporations Division website.
  • Download and complete the Application for Certification of Registration (form PA/PC-1 or PLLC-1) from the Resources and Forms link on the NC State Bar website. Please note, the application must be notarized.
  • Submit the application, 2 originals and 1 copy of the Articles of Incorporation/Organization and payment in the amount of $50.00 made payable to N.C. State Bar to: N.C. State Bar, Attn: Adam Maner, PO Box 26088, Raleigh, NC 27611. Documents are not forwarded to the NC Secretary of State's Office.
  • The NC State Bar will examine both documents and if sufficient, will provide a certification letter.
  • Submit the creation document along with the Board's certification letter to the Corporations Division of the Secretary of State's Office for filing with either $125 for a domestic entity (North Carolina) or $250 for a foreign entity receiving a Certificate of Authority.
  • Return a filed copy of the Articles of Incorporation/Organization or Certificate of Authority to the NC State Bar. The Board will then issue the license.
  • If you have any questions, please call Adam Maner at 919-828-4620, ext. 256.

North Carolina Statutes

Secretary of State

NC State Bar

North Carolina Administrative Code

Secretary of State

  • 18 NCAC 04 .0318 - Authorization of Foreign Professional Corporations
  • 18 NCAC 04 .0502 - Words Prohibited in Aliition to Statutory Prohibitions
  • 18 NCAC 04 .0503 - Deceptively Similar and Distinguishable Names
  • 18 NCAC 04 .0504 - Filing Fictitious or Assumed Name for Foreign Entity

NC State Bar

Return to Main Page