North Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy
The North Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy (NCBOT) was established by the
1984 session of the N. C. General Assembly. It is the purpose of this law to provide
for the regulation of persons offering Occupational Therapy services to the public.
PLEASE REFER TO THE BOARD’S WEBSITE FOR EXPLANATIONS OF TYPES OF LICENSES
AND OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION.
Bookmark the link to the NCBOT for your future reference.
North Carolina Licensed Occupational Therapists or Occupational Therapy Assistants
who want to form a Professional Corporation or Professional Limited Liability Company
must apply to the North Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy for a Certificate
of Registration, pursuant to Chapter 55B of the North Carolina General Statutes.
Procedure to Create a Professional Business Entity
Step 1 Articles of Incorporation/Organization
- Download and complete the appropriate business entity creation document from the
Forms link on the Corporations Division website.
Step 2 Application to NCBOT
- Request an application by calling the NCBOT at the above number.
- Complete the appropriate application including:
- Corporate name which must include a corporate ending as required by GS §55D-20
or 55B-5. < For limited liability companies, the complete name must be provided
and must include the word “Professional” or the abbreviation “P.L.L.C.”
or PLLC as required by GS §57C-2-01(c)(v).
- Specific services to be rendered by the corporation or LLC.
- Mailing address of corporation or LLC, including telephone number and e-mail address
- For Professional Corporations, provide the name, address and license number of each
incorporator, the Board of Directors, and the corporate officers. Include percent
of shares owned by stockholders.
- For Limited Liability Companies, provide the name, address and license number of
each Owner, Director and Member.
- Provide the name, address, professional affiliation, duties and license number (if
applicable) of individuals not otherwise identified, who are employed, or to be
employed, in a professional capacity by the corporation/organization.
Signatures: Each incorporator/organizer must sign before submitting the application
to the N.C. Board of Podiatry Examiners.
Step 3: Receipt of Certificate of Registration - Submission to the Secretary of
- Submit application with the required fee of fifty ($50.00) along with a copy of
the Articles of Incorporation/Organization to:
PO Box 2280
Raleigh, NC 27602
- An original Certificate of Registration will be returned to the applicant to be
used for filing with the Secretary of State’s office along with the Articles
Step 4: Renewal of Certificate of Registration
In accordance with NCGS §55B and 57C, A Certificate of Registration must be
renewed annually with the Board by June 20. Renewal applications are mailed out
- Renewal requires submission of a renewal application reflecting current information.
Renewal applications should be submitted with the applicable renewal fee of twenty-five
- There is a ten dollar (410.00) late fee for renewal applications postmarked after
- If changes have been made to the owners/shareholders/members or to the Articles
of Incorporation/Organization, an updated copy must be attached.
- It is the responsibility of the corporation or limited liability company to notify
the Board of any address, phone, fax or e-mail changes throughout the year.
Step 5: Changing your Corporate Name or other Changes
The Board and Secretary of State’s Corporations Division both must be notified
of any changes to the Corporate name, shareholders, Articles of Incorporation/Organization,
or other status.
Step 6: Dissolving your Professional Corporation or Limited Liability Company
Written notice shall be provided to the Board within 30 days of dissolving the Professional
entity along with a copy of the Articles of Dissolution.
North Carolina Statutes
Secretary of State
Licensed Occupational Therapists
North Carolina Administrative Code
Secretary of State
- 18 NCAC 04 .0318 - Authorization of Foreign Professional Corporations
- 18 NCAC 04 .0502 - Words Prohibited in Addition to Statutory Prohibitions
- 18 NCAC 04 .0503 - Deceptively Similar and Distinguishable Names
- 18 NCAC 04 .0504 - Filing Fictitious or Assumed Name for Foreign Entity
Return to Main Page